“Christ has no body now but yours; no hands, no feet on earth but yours. Yours are the eyes with which he looks with compassion on this world. Christ has no body now on earth but yours.”
—St. Teresa of Avila
At Pine Street Church we have a heart for helping others, especially "the least of these" mentioned by Jesus in the Gospel of Matthew. Our gratitude to God for all we have moves us to meaningfully assist others in need. In that regard, here's a partial list of the kinds of helping activities we invest in at Pine Street Church, both individually and as a body:
- Daily, we use our facility as a meeting place for a dozen support groups such as Al Anon and AA. On Saturday evenings, we open our church for Saturday Night Jive, a time of celebration for those struggling with addiction, but who've made it through another week of sobriety.
- We provide in-country financial and prayer support for our American Baptist missionaries helping needy people in Bulgaria, Thailand, the Czech Republic, and around the world.
- We provide support for the education/care of a young Haitian woman orphaned by the destructive 2010 earthquake in Haiti through the Partners in Parenting Haiti non-profit led by congregation member Jan Arney.
- We collect food donations for the Boulder Emergency Family Assistance Association (EFAA) Food Bank several times during the year.
- We give our time to Flatiron Habitat for Humanity's local building projects, and also provide a $5000 donation year to FHFH construction costs at their current low-income home-building site.
- Through our church missions budget, we support the Boulder Bridge House "Director's Discretionary Fund" that is used by Bridge House to help homeless with bus tickets, meals, rent, and other short-term needs.